Steam is a familiar software for those who play games. This software has the function of free management and synthesis of unique games.
Sometimes, the software still encounters some errors such as screen freeze or lag. So, we will show you how to restart steam to continue using the application.
And here are the three simplest ways you can restart the software:
- Restart steam when it freezes
- Restart steam from within the app
- Restart steam from offline mode
For details of each way, we will guide you step by step below!
How To Restart Steam
There are up to 3 ways to restart steam because maybe one of these ways cannot be available in your browser. Then you can try the other two.
Of course, each one only takes a few steps, and you can rest assured they are very easy with the following instructions.
Restart steam when it freezes
Steam freezes are application crashes, and you cannot influence or create any actions with the mouse. Now you need to be on the keyboard combination to exit the app and restart it.
Step 1: Use the key
- In case you use the Windows operating system: Ctrl + Alt + Delete
- In case you use Mac: Command + Option + Escape
This is the key combination to open the Security menu of the device
Step 2: Reboot
- Scroll down to the bottom of the Windows operating system and select “End task” in the bottom corner.
- For Mac, select the blue exit button in the steam menu.
Restart steam from within the app
If your application still accepts mouse buttons, you can try:
- Step 1: Open any window on the steam application.
- Step 2: Click on the “steam” symbol in the left corner of the screen.
- Step 3: Exit the app.
- When you click on the “steam” icon, a menu will appear for you to choose from. Press the exit button to leave the application.
- Step 4: Sign in again.
- After exiting the application, open steam again to check if it is back to normal. In some cases, the computer will ask you to log in again after exiting the application.
Above are the basic steps for you to restart steam from within the app. Usually, if the steam error is not too serious, you can solve it this way.
Restart steam from offline mode
Steam develops on both Windows and Mac platforms, so you need to follow and apply the right way to your version.
- Step 1: Open the Steam window and select the steam button in the top corner.
- Step 2: After pressing the “steam” button, a menu will appear, and choose to switch to offline mode.
- Step 1: Open the steam app
- Step 2: Find and select the account button on the toolbar
- Step 3: Select and switch to offline mode in the list menu that appears
After completing the above steps with both versions, you need to confirm that you will restart offline mode to continue. After rebooting, repeat the steps above but choose the online mode to continue using steam.
When To Restart Steam
Some applications, when used for a long time, will have some problems. The simplest way to solve such problems is to restart the application.
Most devices install auto-updates for their apps. However, if the app has been downloaded or has some manufacturer restrictions, you’ll need to update it manually.
This update keeps your apps up to date. You will also have better benefits if the developer adds something not available in the previous version.
Usually, people pay little attention to this update unless you see someone bragging about it online and is interested in it.
Another reason why you need to update steam is due to a technical glitch.
If you’re using the app normally and it’s freezing all of a sudden, then restarting is the easiest fix.
However, not all problems can be resolved by continuing the application. Some cases of more serious errors need you to delete and reinstall the entire software.
You also need to be aware of updating your device to the latest version so that the reinstallation process goes smoothly.
What should I check if I can’t restart steam in the above ways?
Above are the basic instructions for you to fix errors when using steam. However, if you can’t restart steam or restarting doesn’t work, try checking for the following errors.
Remove unnecessary applications because your device lacks memory or has another application that interferes with the running process, leading to your steam error.
- Update the app to the latest version
- Check the network connection
- Test memory including clipboard and hard drive
- Check other applications, including anti-virus software
Where is the restart Steam button?
You can find the steam button in the top left corner of the screen. This feature is the special thing of steam that will not change no matter what version you use.
You can also search for other things that are not visible on the screen in this item menu.
How do I fix Steam restart?
If you get an error while starting or using the application, try one of the three or all methods above. In case the above methods do not work, you can turn off the device to try again later.
Usually, everything will be resolved quickly. However, if you do not see results, please check if the latest version you are using is correct.
You can also update the software or uninstall the application from your computer and reinstall it.
Now, you have found the answer to the question “how to restart steam?”
You will probably only need to apply one of the three ways above to solve your problem. However, it is not easy for everyone to use the first time, and you need some time to experiment.
Thank you for reading!