Steam is one of the most popular platforms among gamers. You can access tons of games thanks to the Steam installation. Most gamers install the Steam folder in one drive only for convenience. However, there will be a problem then. You need to move the folder to another place.
How to move Steam games to another drive? This article offers you the three most common methods:
- Method 1: Use the Library folder
- Method 2: Use the Steam Library Manager
- Method 3: Moving the whole Steam folder
The steps included in each method are simple to follow. Let’s read on to discover!
Why Should You Move The Steam Games To Another Drive?
When you download many games on your device in one place, tragedies happen. When you’re launching the games, they may stop operating or display some error messages.
To fix the problem, some gamers transfer game files to another disk on their PC. This method can ensure that the games you play continue to function. It also saves you from the burden of trying to reinstall large files.
Another motivation for transferring Steam games to a different folder is to free the space. This approach might help you play faster. However, you must manually move the files around on your device.
Steam, like other games files, often stays in the disk C. This folder will keep expanding in size until it is full of memory. Hence, moving the file out of its original disk is necessary.
Important Lines To Note
Before starting to move Steam game files, you’d better take some notes for an adequate performance:
- Sign in with your Steam account first.
- If you need to reset your username or password, connect your current email account to the one on Steam.
- Transferring Steam games to some other external disk is not advisable. The external storages are considerably weaker and may result in operational difficulties.
- Keep a copy of the Steam games in a folder.
- To save the games, relocate the “My Games” folder to the same spot on the computer hard disk where you will insert the new games.
How To Move Steam Games To Another Drive?
There are several techniques for moving Steam games to some other drive. In this article, we’ll show you the three quickest approaches.
Method 1: Use the Library folder
On Steam, there is a simple alternative for relocating or downloading games to a different place. You can utilize the “Steam Mover” or “Steam Library” to move extra game files to another disk. The most significant thing is to put a game in a specific library using this built-in Steam function.
Here is how to do it:
- First, choose the “Steam” bar after launching the game.
- Opt for “Settings” from the drop-down menu.
- Choose “Downloads.”
- Under the “Content Libraries” section, choose the “Library Folders.”
- Choose to add a library folder. This option is on the lower-left corner.
- All the Steam game folders stay in this folder. You need to tap the “Local files” bar to move the games.
- Select the “Library” from the menu at the top.
- Right-click on the target game and click on the “Properties” option.
- Tap the last option, which is about moving the install folder.
- Click on “Move Folder” to proceed with the game files you have chosen to another driver location.
Method 2: Use the Steam Library Manager
The “Library Manager” feature makes it easy to handle the Steam libraries.
This function will give you the complete details of Steam libraries available on your device. You can also utilize the “Library Manager” to relocate the games to any drive and restore pre-installed programs.
The method entails dragging and dropping the game file into a different folder. There’s a “Task Manager” choice that enables you to transfer several game files at once.
Let’s follow the steps below:
- Download the “Library Manager” tool from Steam’s official website.
- To check the library and the games you’ve already installed, go to the “Library” tab. You may feel free to drag and drop any folder in this tab.
- To verify the new location of the Steam games, opt for the “Task Manager” option.
- Press on the “Start” button to move the games to another drive on your device.
Method 3: Moving the whole Steam folder
Moving the whole game folder is also a popular approach. The process is as follows:
- Open the driver where you have installed the Steam folder. Most games downloaded sit in the “Program Files” in Disk C.
- Copy the Steam folder, then paste it into the new drive.
- Launch the Steam.exe file.
- Make a shortcut of the created folder on your device.
What If There Is An Error While Moving The Steam Folder?
The methods above sometimes may not work. There could be an error during the process. In this case, follow the steps below:
- Exit the Steam app.
- Go to the Steam folder.
- Move the “SteamApps” folder to the desktop.
- Uninstall the Steam games on your computer.
- Reinstall the games.
- Shift the “SteamApps” folder to a new location. With this method, you can move the pre-installed games to another drive at ease.
- Sign in to your Steam account to confirm. To run the games, you need to verify that the cache files still exist on your device.
Above are some simple guides on how to move Steam games to another drive. Changing the location of the game folders is necessary, especially if you want to speed up the loading process. As a result, your game competitions will be fascinating.
Hopefully, you will find this article helpful. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thank you for reading!